From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:25:01 -0500
John Hooker wrote:

> I was interested in Bobbi Cordy's statement about cotton releasing acid,
> and this brought to mind other problems. Another source of acid are
> plastics, especially the chemicals used to soften them. Hard plastics seem
> less of a problem, but I'm not sure whether we can divide them so exactly.
>
> Are wood cabinets a problem, and is there  a difference in what sort of
> wood is used -- e.g. Highly resinous woods such as oak compared with
> "drier" woods such as mahogany.
>
> What about paper -- should all paper be acid - free?
>
> Does humidity play an important role?  I live in an extremely dry climate.
>
> I am also interested in what causes fading in shells, indeed, what is the
> source of color in shells anyway? Is it pigment or structural? Do shells
> fade only because of light, or is it connected with them drying out over
> time? What can be done to help prevent fading?
>
> Any help will be most appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John Hooker
> --
>
> We need articles for Pan!
> http://www.cadvision.com/hooker-perron/index.htm
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
I got a lot of my information from the convention and also from an
article written by Alice Monroe.  She is in particular talking about
Bynes disease.
Bynes disease is caused by acid in the environment.  Acis are used in
the manufacture of various materials and the acid is then released into
the air or surrounding environment.  Yellowing cotton releases acid in
the air.
A humid environment is worse (especially for us in Florida).  The acid
dissolves in water vapor and accelerates the deterioration process.
Specimen shells should not be stored in attics, garages or storage
sheds. They should be kept in an air-conditioned environment or with a
fam to permit air circulation.   Wood shell cabinets are not good (all
ours are wood).  Steel is the best.  Cabinets should permit flow of air.
New plastics are constantly being developed; soft plastics are
preferable to hard plastics.  Polyester batting is the preferable cotton
for mounting opercula.
Periodically opening drawers and even removing the shells and placing
them in distilled water is good.  Newly acquired shells (even purchased)
should be put in water for several hours...especially if they have been
acquired from an aging collection.
Unfortunately acid-free materials are more expensive.

Fading is another problem.  There are some shells that fade no matter
how careful you are with them.
Keep your shells in the dark.  Drawers, of course, keep them in the
dark.
We never open the blinds in our shell "museum".  Keeping lights on in
exhibit-type cases is not good.  Remember the light under the ocean is
filtered.   Coating them with mineral oil also helps with the fading
process.  No doubt with coweries their mantle helps them from fading.
Bobbi