From:
Lorraine Earle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:37:36 EST
Hi.  My name is Lorraine and I am a shell collector (literally, not so much
scientifically).  I design and create beautiful pieces (mirrors, sailors
valentine boxes, wreaths, flowers, music boxes, barretts, magnets, holiday
ornaments, etc.).  My company, of which I am sole proprieter, collector and
manufacturer, is called Sea All Designs.  I grew up on Martha's Vineyard, and
have lived the past twenty years at Nantasket Beach in Hull, MA.  I also
travel to Barbados once a year, building my collection.  Friends that know of
my passion have given me shells from their trips, so my collection, and in
turn, my designs were unique to my New England customers. Here is my very
special story.

In October of 1996, my daughter and I were coming home from her soccer game
and spotted along the main avenue a handmade lobster flag, advertising lobster
for $3.40 per pound.  Knowing I only had $20, I decided against stopping and
told my daughter so.  When we got home she said "Mom, you should have gotten
the lobster."  Then I realized that my son wouldn't be home for dinner, so we
only needed three lobsters!  I had enough cash after all.  We got back in the
car and drove to the house with the lobster sign.

A tall, rugged, hansome man with white hair met me at the cellar door.  He was
on crutches, and seemed a little out of breath.  The yard was full of lobster
traps and a boat on its trailer.  I purchased my three lobsters.  The man
handed my daughter a sand dollar and asked her if she ever found one of them
at the beach.  She said no.  He proceeded to say that he was a conchologist.
I looked at the man and screamed that I was a "shellaholic".  "Oh, if you want
to see shells, come into my cellar," he said.

When I entered the cellar there was a pegged board wall with hundreds of
ziploc bags hanging with different varieties of shells in each.  He had
barrels of shells.  Plastic containers filled with different types of shells,
beautiful wooded boxes holding some magnificant nautilis or other favorite.  I
was in total awe.  We chatted for a while and he told me many, many things.
He said that all his art and his best shells were upstairs and invited me back
to poke around at some other time.

I went home to tell my husband about this unbelievable, fateful meeting.  What
made me go back to get those lobsters?  None of us really care one way or
another if we eat lobster, as it is most plentiful around here and we have our
fill when we want.  I was so happy to have met this man.

I patiently waited for an invitation from him to come over, learning a little
about the man from friends in town.  He was a retired fisherman (mostly
lobster).  He was also the town moderator for 25 years, twenty-five years ago!
About four days later when I got home from work my son announced:  "Mom, the
Shell Man called."  I returned the call and he told me he had set up the card
table in his shell room.  "When can you come poke around?"  We met that
Saturday for a couple of hours.  I met his wife Edna, who sat in the living
room listening to Frank and I jabbering on like a couple of fools.

Before we started I asked him if I could purchase $50 worth of shells from
him.  He said yes.  I told him to just tell me which ones I could have and
when I had reached the $50 limit.  He proceeded to show me all the pieces he
has made over the years.  This man went through each container, which were
sorted, priced and catergorized, by the way, and showed me everything.  I left
there holding a container full of samples of hundreds of varieties of shells I
had never seen.  He lent me a couple of his books, asking me to write down my
name and what books I borrowed so he would remember who had them.

With my collection greatly enhanced, I begin creating even more beautiful
pieces than before!  I would call Frank and talk to him about different
things, and when I ran out of calico scallops which I was using for heart
shaped Mother's Day Hearts, I asked if I could come over and buy some.  That
Saturday in early May, 1997, I visited Frank and asked him for $10 worth of
calicos.  He then told me that he truly believed that he and I were meant to
meet for a reason.  The reason being, he wanted me to buy his entire
collection, bag and baggage, including all of his creations.  He explained
that his many, many hobbies are so spread out and he really needed to close in
on some.  His stamp collection needed attention and his shells just took up
too much space.  Pretty much the whole cellar and one room upstairs!

We discussed the price and I gave him a $100 deposit.  He sat down at his old,
standard typewriter and put two pieces of paper and a carbon sheet.  Frank
typed a bill of sale saying that I owned everything in his home relating to
shells!  This included the books!  I was to pay him by May 31 and have
everything out by then.  BOY OH BOY DID MY COLLECTION ENHANCE!!!!  I probably
own more shells than anyone in the Northeast of the United States!  It took me
six carloads to get everything home.

Frank, Edna and I remain good friends.  Last Saturday they renewed their
wedding vows at Mass after 54 years of marriage.  I love this man.  He has
become a very important person in my life.  I have learned more from him and
his drive and passion than any other man in my life.  I will not sell his art.
I will hold onto it and maybe someday I can display it in my "museum".

I hope this story sounds to you like it feels to me.  It amazes me to this day
that he and I met on that fateful day.  I have lived in this town for 20 years
and had never heard of the man.  Now I own his most valued collection, of
which is priceless.