From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:00:35 -0400
Dear Carol and Bill,

There is a long and well-studied relationship between Hindu scripture (and
folklore) related to Turbinella pyrum (Linnaeus, 1758) and its rare
sinistral mutant (about 1:600,000 dextrals fide Hornell, J. 1916.  The
Indian varieties and races of the genus Turbinella.  Mem. Ind. Mus.
6:109-125, 3pls.).

The ethnoconchology is nicely summarized by Rose, K. 1974. The religious use
of Turbinella pyrum (Linnaeus), the Indian Chank. Nautilus 88(1):1-5. Jan.

One often-trivialized characteristic of practical conchology is the facility
of (a human) decanting the liquid contents of a sinistral shell (seldom
available in T. pyrum/ characteristic in Busycon sinistrum Hollister, 1958)
using his right hand (vs. the opposite set-up).  This simple act is
ceremonial in many religions.

Harry

afternoon.  He picked up a lightning whelk that was in my trunk, came around
to the window and asked me how much I wanted for it.  Being sort of
dumfounded, I said "Well, it really isn't for sale, but I have some more at
home I'll give you."  He was in absolute awe of this shell and said in India
they are sacred.  But he would need two of them.  He remarked that they were
"right handed."  When I said they were left handed, he put it up to my ear.
He said "Do you hear that?"  I promised to get him two whelks, but I thought
he had said something about volutes--he had a thick accent and was a little
difficult to understand.

>        I later thought about the chank, but wondered if anyone ever heard
of this type of shell being  sacred in India.  It was VERY strange.

>        Carol
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm