From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 00:30:52 EDT
The speculation has been made that it is safe to say there are rare shells,
yet no scientific evidence that I am aware of, was offered to support this
statement. As such it becomes an opinion, no better or worse than those
offered by others, but just an opinion. Many of the species mentioned have
man as their only natural enemy. Whales, tigers and many species that achieve
that status did so with the interference of man. No so with deep water
shells. There is not much (yet) that we are doing to cause the extinction of
shells at 450 to 600 feet. Just darn hard to get hold of I would guess.

Reminds me about the Cypraea that was thought to be very rare many years ago.
Few know specimens and the waters did not reveal more shells, until one day
they were discovered in only several feet of water buried in mud. Because we
know so little about certain shells we can't even trust that their habitant
is where they are found. It could be a few strays (happens all the time) and
we aren't even close.

How small a population is enough to be considered rare and yet large enough
to sustain itself with all the natural predation with other shells, fish,
octopus, etc., trying to do them in for lunch (Hail Cone Wars)? So it really
is not so safe to say, one way or the other, that it's a fact, but we are all
entitled to our opinion. And this is just my humble opinion, for what it's
worth.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://www.shellgems.com
Discounts for COA members
We accept ALL major credit cards!