From:
Brooke Selmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:36:15 PDT
Re: fossil conus  - Sorry for the late answer - my e-mail is WAY
misbehaving.  I'm now getting messages sent a week or more ago.  Wouldn't
have responded had I known so many responses were already sent.

Re: errata - here's a cheer from a rank beginner representative - wouldn't
be able to contribute (I think) but can't imagine a better way to learn.
It's odd but we humans seem to pay special attention to other peoples
mistakes.  Besides - having noticed the reasons stated by  a few people
recently dropping off the list - this would be a very focused, very relevant
and very useful effort.  Just having acquired a copy of Burgess's "The
Living Cowrie" and in the intial stages of devouring it (you can only read a
book the first time once), I'm struck at the relevance of a statment made by
Dr. Kay in the forward "Conchology is among the few branches of science
today in which the amateur is stll an active participant."  Thirty years
later Conch-L has the opportunity to show that this is still true.

-Brooke