From:
Jorge Bartolomeu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:11:09 +0100
At 11:13 16-04-1998 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello to All,
>      It's great to be on-line with others who share my interest in shells.
>My name is CHristine Koch.  I teach 3rd grade at the Twin Valley
>Elementary Center in Morgantown, PA.  I became interested in mollusks in
>1989 during my first trip to Marco Island, Florida.  That was all it took
>!!! I was hooked!!!  I now have two shell clubs at TVEC for first through
>fifth graders.  We do a lot of work on identification of shells the kids
>have found or purchased.  We've opened a shell shop for the school where
>kids can buy shell bags, pencils, stickers, etc.  The proceeds have gone to
>SAVE THE MANATEE Organization.  I would love to hear from other shellers in
>regard to educational material available for the kids.  We were using
>Tucker Abbott's identification guide to Caribbean shells.  Cecelia Abbott
>was able to sell them to us at a very reasonable price.  But we are at a
>loss where to locate more copies. Our main focus has been shells found at
>the Jersey, Delaware, Maryland shores, as well as Florida and the
>Caribbean.
>Any info in regard to good shelling locations in those places would be
>greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!!!

        DEAR, Christine

        Welcome abroad! You will certainly love the trip to the wonderful world of
shells!!
        A good book for your propose is Living Shells of the Caribbean and Florida
Keys by Robert E. Lipe & R. Tucker Abbott. I am sure you can obtain this
book in the States for a reasonable price!! It's a well illustrated book
with lot's of live pictures and with lot's of common names. The kids will
certainly love it.
        About your shell shop, I think it's wonderful educational approach. Maybe
I could donate you a couple of European shells ? I would love to contribute
and help your children + SAVE THE MANATEE Organisation.
Any one out there willing to do the same, for this good cause ?
        Until then ...

        Best regards Christine,

        Carlos Afonso
        Apartado 662 - Vilamoura