From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 09:16:05 -0500
Dear Carol,
As a person who is often asked to serve as a scientific judge at various
shell shows I will state the following in all caps:

At 08:18 PM 1/8/98 EST, you wrote:
>At the risk of offending a lot of people, I have decided to heed the
advice of
>a fellow Conch-L'er and air my feelings about a few things.  Lots of folks
>couldn't care less.
>
>This probably has nothing to do with the recent controversy that has people
>knocking each other like balls across a tennis net......people who are
>supposedly friends involved in a common interest--shells.  Why do friends
>treat friends like this?  Does it involve competition in shell shows?

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE COMPETITIVE SPIRIT.  I BELIEVE IT BRINGS
OUT THE BEST IN MOST PEOPLE, THE WORST IN THE REST.  THE AWARDS INCREASE
THE OVERALL QUALITY OF THE EXHIBITS AND THE SHOW.

>This is my point--and I realize I will probably make a lot of "winners" out
>there mad.  But why do we have shell shows and compete against each other for
>trophies?  Isn't the idea of a shell show to educate the public?  Does it
>matter who wins a trophy?  Do they educate the public "MORE"?
>
>I don't think so!  The people who win the trophies are the ones who are (l)
>able to travel the world to collect these "winners" or (2) pay some dealer
>(unscrupulous or not) to supply them with these shells so they can win!!!

NOT NECESSARILY SO.  I HAVE PERSONALLY GIVEN SOME BIG AWARDS TO EXHIBITS BY
PERSONS OBVIOUSLY NOT IN THE TOP PERCENTILES, FINANCIALLY SPEAKING.

>Please don't misunderstand me--this is not sour grapes.  Someone who wins
>these awards at these shell shows has a lot of time (and money) invested in
>their exhibits.
>
>I believe that there are more politics involved in  competitive shell shows
>than goes on in Washington, DC.  (Please forgive me, winners.)

AT LEAST IN MY 10 YEAR EXPERIENCE THIS IS ABSOLUTLY FALSE!!!!!  JUDGES
JUDGE BLIND, MEANING WE DO NOT KNOW THE EXHIBITORS NAME(S) WHEN WE ARE IN
THE JUDGING PROCESS.  I HAVE NEVER BEEN APPROACHED IN ANY FASHION BY AN
EXHIBITOR OR SHOW OFFICIAL OR MEMBER!  NEVER!  IF I HAD BEEN I WOULD HAVE
TOLD THE SHOW CHAIRMAN TO DISQUALIFY THAT EXHIBITOR IMMEDIATELY.
ADDITIONALLY, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY OTHER JUDGE BEING APPROACHED EITHER.

>What am I leading up to?  I guess I really don't know.  As I said, I've seen
>the hurt, sarcasm, name calling and everything else that has gone on
lately on
>this List.  Do I think my feelings about competition at shell shows will make
>any difference?  Probably not, but I do feel it's time for intelligent people
>to get their "stuff" together.  Let's enjoy our hobby (to most of us it's a
>hobby) stop being competitive, dive, snorkel, walk the beach, buy from
>dealers, whatever.  But when it comes to displaying what we have, let's don't
>have this "cut throat" intelligence that says "WIN at ANY COST!"
>
>My suggestion to stop this madness is to "Exhibit-and Educate-not Compete."

MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN THAT IF AN EXHIBIT DOES NOT (DEPENDING ON THE
CATEGORY) EDUCATE IT SIMPLY DOES NOT GET THE AWARDS.

>Thanks--I got it off my chest!

I HAVE NO INKLING AS TO WHAT WAS BEING TOSSED AROUND THE OTHER DAY.  I ACT
AS A JUDGE WHEN ASKED TO DO SO.  I'M GLAD YOU GOT THAT OFF YOUR CHEST BUT,
TRUTHFULLY, IN MY EXPERIENCE YOU WERE OFF THE MARK.