From:
Paul Kanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:08:24 -0700
Hi Jim,
Great shots of  the Spondylus. I always appreciate your contributions to the
List.
As to identifying the difference between princeps and leucacantha, the
easiest way is to look at the internal hinge area. Princeps has a brownish
staining in the hinge area while leucacantha is white. Luecacantha is s
usually a peachy colored shell with white spines and usually occurs in
deeper water. Also, the spines on princeps are more spatulate
Hope this helps.
Your friend,
Paul