From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:47:09 -0500
The 2 larger Murex of the Mediterranean are

Bolinus brandaris (Linnaeus, 1758) and Hexaplex trunculus (Linnaeus, 1758)

to have the correct genera and spelling.

Both species have been used to get purpur.

Where do you have the name Bolius Bolius. The right names are above.

with best shelling greetings
Helmut

I think in the near future I can get a few specimens of Bolinus brandaris
and Hexaplex trunculus,
so that I would be able to provide 5 interesting people with one of each.
But this is not very
soon. So the first 5 collectors who are interested please contact me for
keeping in mind.

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at

----------
Hello All
For a shell show I did a small amount of research on this subject.  The "dye
Murex" (Bolius Bolius, my books are in storage so the spelling and genus
name
are wrong).  Many of the shells of that species were collected and a
yellowish liquid extracted by boiling. I say many, like 100,000 for a few
ounces of dye.  The number is probably wrong but you get the idea.  The
yellow liquid, exposed to the sun would turn it purple.  The longer it was
exposed to the sun, the deeper the purple color.  In a nutshell (seashell)
that is a brief explanation.
Jordan *