From:
Mike Cortie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 13:30:17 +0200
The book on South African shells by Steyn & Lussi has now been released. It
certainly is based mainly on beach-collected material but the authors have
succeeded in most cases in finding very acceptable specimens for their
illustrations. Thumbnail map, text on left hand page, photos  on the right
hand page. Text is descriptive of shell, very little additional biological
information presented. It is my understanding that Dr Kilburn has gone
through the draft. If so, then the IDs' will be modern and reliable.  I
understand that a local book store chain has bought most of the print run so
at present I am not able to advise how best to buy one from outside of S.A.

As far as South African cones are concerned, there is no recent book or
journal article that covers the whole subject.(Both the Steyn & Lussi book,
and the wonderful Kilburn & Rippey book deal only with the shallow water
spevcies) However, the newsletter of the Conchological Society of Southern
Africa ran some interesting review articles on the subject a few years ago.
These are illustrated in colour and still available from the Society at a
nominal charge.

Please contact me off-list for details.

Mike Cortie
Conch Soc of SA, South Africa