From:
Mike Cortie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 08:35:48 +0200
In Southern Africa the indigenous land snails are more or less confirned to
small patches of indigenous forest/bush. These forests are an exception in
an otherwise grassy landscape. The landscape is grassy for two reasons, 1.
relatively low rain fall, and 2. seasonal fires. (Now that settled
agriculture has appeared on the scene number 2 has been interfered with, so
the grassland has in many instances been extensively altered by exotic trees
and shrubs.)

Curiously, the indigenous forest patches very rarely burn, even when the
hills about them are aflame. It is not clear to me whether the preference of
our molluscan  fauna for bush/forest derives from a preference for the
microclimate in these patches, or whether it relates also to protection from
intermittant fires.

Mike Cortie
Conch Soc , South Africa

phone RSA-11-709-4485