From:
Eduardo Moreira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:01:35 -0300
Hi Janine,

First of all many thanks to Kurt and Mark.

It's not my first trip to Lima, but in 96 I was not quite successful in my
shell collecting. On the other hand the only day I tryed to collect, I did
it in Miraflores, a well populated suburb.

Lima is not a beautiful city. Cloudy 110% of the days I stayed there, with
just 30 minutes of a shy sun. I doesn't rain there, even being VERY humid.
The people is poor indeed, but very friendly.

Regarding wearing gold, Mark, thanks about the hint but I won't do it. Not
because I'll be in Lima, or in a poor city, but because I wouldn't wear
gold in a big city. Big city are dangerous, in Peru, in Brazil or even in
the US. In fact, I'd prefer to buy shells then to spend that money buying a
gold chain.

Janine, many thanks for your hints. I'll try to go to that beach and I
promise I'll tell you how good it was.

Regarding my trip to Cartagena, Colombia, it was a real good surprise.

Forget everything you've heard about Colombia. The guerilla and the drug
lords won't be found there. Cartagena is a very calm city, where you can
walk without problems.

It's a beautiful city, full of history. Part very old, part very modern.
"La Ciudad Amurallada" is an old town, fullfilled with Spanish colonial
style houses and churches, behind huge walls of a fortress. Something you
cannot describe. If you've ever been to San Augustine, FL ... well,
compared with Cartagena, San Augustine would be a poor apetizer.

Talking about shells, take a ride in a fast boat and go to Islas del
Rosario, 1 hour far from the city. The water in the Cartagena bay is dark,
but in the islands you'll find Caribbean pristine waters. A wonderful place
to snorkel. I didn't find anything special since the trip didn't last too
much, but 3 big Lithopoma caelatum were good enough to satisfy my hunger.
Next time I'll go with a plastic sac to bring some shell grit. You'll find
good quality shell grit there.

Better than shells !!!! Colombia is THE place to buy emeralds! Find a good
and honest jewelry and you'll buy gold/emerald rings, necklaces, ear rings
for incredible prices. I'm still paying a ring + an ear ring pair, but my
wife LOOOOOOVED it (she really deserves my madness!!!)

If there is a Peruvian from Lima in the net, please contact me. Any other
Conch-Ler who has a better hint (or even worse) then the one sent by Andy
Rindsberg, please drop me a message.  Andy assures that I'll "definitely
find Lima in Peru! That was the best hint I ever received.  :-))))))

Cheers,

Eduardo Moreira
SQS 104 Bl.D apt.504
70343-040 Brasilia, DF  BRAZIL

PS: Betty Jean, I don't know if you are leaving to your Australian
vacations, but, if positive, have a nice trip!!!

----------
> De: Janine Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
> Para: [log in to unmask]
> Assunto: Re: [CONCH-L] Lima, Peru
> Data: Quinta-feira, 27 de Agosto  de 1998 18:47
>
> Dear Eduardo,
>
> We were in Lima last October. We went for an afternoon trip to a beach 40
> kilometers south of Lima called "Playa las dos senoritas". I got about 25
> different species beachcombing (some gastropods and some bivalves)
nothing
> spectacular but we were not there very long.
>
> In the Indian market in Miraflores some Murex were on sale (recently
picked
> up still smelly and not properly cleaned but not collector stuff though,
no
> data). I was told that they came from Tumbes in north Peru (South of the
> golfo de Guayaquil) that is to say not far from the border with
Ecuador...
> a bit sensitive a region.
>
> By the way, thanks for your article on China. How was shelling in
Colombia?