Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:04:04 -0500
Hi Bert,

I really appreciated your email and your insight on labeling shellsand
etc...after reading some other posts about mistakes in books I almost
became overwhelmed at the thought of perhaps having to go back and
check and re-check for accuracy. I have been pretty good on labeling
the shells. I have added the common names onto them but see that there
is really not much point in that. I did become a bit frustrated when I
found two different scientific names on a few shells. Then I got
confused. It is pretty well the same scenario in birding although we
do not "label" birds such as we do shells. I have much learning to do,
but it has most certainly been a FUN and INTERESTING learning...there
has been a lot of intrigue to it for me also. I still have a batch of
shells that I have not been able to label. Purchased some at various
places...some nice shells. Every now and then I get to poking around
somewhere and find one that I can finally put a name too.

I have picked up shells and labeled them, then later found the same
species...but having found it on my own...not just picking it up from
someone else's vacation, collecting trip, or whatever, has really
meant a lot to me. That is a whole new learning experience right there
when you can pick it up in the "field" on your own.

You have also given me a new appreciation for the question mark which
I have so hated to put on a label before...I can see now how it is
okay and always a continuous learning process.

I am much a beginner---in the sense of actually learning what I have.
I have always appreciated nature in many different fields. It just now
seems that my mind is insatiable and I want to learn more of what I am
seeing and collecting.

Your comment: "Don't sweat the details, just enjoy the fun of finding
new shells and learn as you go..." certainly capped the whole email
for me. That REALLY is what it is all about...the fun of finding and
appreciating...and enjoying meeting others who share the same
interests!

Thank you!
Theresia

> Welcome to the list!  I have to add my two cents worth on labeling
and
> scientific names and references.  Labeling will add to the enjoyment
of your
> collection over time [I guarantee that if you forget to label shells
you
> have collected yourself, you will forget the details after 10 or 20
years
> and you will regret it].  Labels will also add to their scientific
value.
> Often amateurs are the first to notice changes occurring in their
local
> area.  For example, one of our local shell club members found a new
> introduced species of bivalve from Asia before any of
the "scientists" did.
> New populations of mollusks show up all the time. I just found a new
> population of land snails in my neighborhood yesterday.
Unfortunately, some
> other populations will die off or become very rare where they used
to be
> common.  Sharp eyes, good labels and organized data will help
document these
> changes as they occur.  Some shells [especially small land snails]
are
> almost impossible to identify unless you use a microscope and do
careful
> dissection. A genus name with "question marks" for the species is
good
> enough as long as you know where it came from and when you collected
them.

> Expect the names to change on quite a few mollusks in your
collection over
> time.  Keep the old labels and see how much new information you have
> learned.  The species name is better for doing internet searches
since is
> will seldom change compared to genus names.  Books often contain
errors but
> are a good starting point to learn more about mollusks.  It's always
O.K. to
> make mistakes in identification and find out the correct answer
later. I
> just figured out several batches of freshwater mussels after 20
years. Don't
> sweat the details, just enjoy the fun of finding new shells and
learn as you
> go. Every collection begins with a single shell or batch of shells.
This
> list is an excellent resource and many people from all over the
world will
> be glad to help answer your questions and share their expertise. Good
> shelling. Bert Bartleson, Olympia, WA, USA

-
> [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on
molluscs

--
Theresa Schwinghammer