From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:04:19 -0700
> On October 1, 1998 I will be in San Francisco for 10 days and was
>wondering whether there really was an absence of shell life,as I'd
>heard, or if it's not true.  Also, are there any good shelling spots on
>the Pacific Coast Highway and where are they?  Thank you, Dennis Moir

Denis,
        Where on the pacific Coast Highway are you going?  North?  South?
If you're going North try Pt. Arenas.  You'll always find empty abalone
shells on the rocks.  Also there are many fresh dead shells there.  It is
illegal to collect live specimens.  Also, if you're going to be long in
S.F., check out the trawlers in the fishing harbor.  Let them know that
you're collecting shells and ask them to save them for you.  Many will
oblige gladly.  I do this in Eureka, California, some 280 miles to the
north of S.F.  Also, while in S.F., check out the california Academy of
Sciences in Golden gate park.  Ask to see the Invertebrate Collections
manager.  It's a great collection.
Hope that your trip goes well.
Dan Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto