From:
Erick Staal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:08:47 +0100
Hi,

A couple of years ago I visited Sanibel and the beach was relatively bare as
far as shells were concerned both days.
However, when I donned my snorkeling gear and entered the (murky) water there
was a ridge a couple of yards from shore where the beach suddenly dropped
about one to two feet. The water those two days was calm with just very small
surf at the strandline.
At the foot of the ridge/drop off it turned out to be packed with very good
shells: Cones, Olives (Oliva sayana) (in total 30 at the foot of these little
ridges (especially at Bowmans beach), NONE on the beach), Nutmegs,  Calico
clams, etc., etc. All still fresh and in very good condition. Especially the
beach at the lighthouse, Bowman's beach and the last mile towards Blind Pass
were very successful for me when I snorkeled for shells this way.

I have the suspicion that the N.W. storms are needed for the shells to be able
to be pushed up the ridge (given that these conditions still apply?). If
you're not inclined to snorkel you could try by using a net (like for
catching shrimps). If the ridge is still there and the shells also you'll
feel the shells with your feet after stepping/sliding down the ridge.

Good luck, Erick