From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:02:36 -0700
I am leery of using loose packing media. The problem is that the stuff
is effectively a fluid and can flow with impacts or vibrations; it can
also compact ("settle"). Either way, the shell may then come into
contact with the container.

I have had no problems ever with paper towel, but I haven't sent very
spiny shells this way (or at all).

Some dealers use toiletpaper (hopefully unused). Unrolling a thick wad
of this stuff is very frustrating and fiddly, and can lead to the
specimen being fumbled and dropped.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Leslie Allen Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Following Peggy's thought.  Vermiculite is very lightweight and non-reactive
> or caking.
>
> Also, many years ago in a Caribbean transit situation, I made popcorn (no
> salt or butter) to use as packing peanuts for a head of lettuce coral.  Got
> the idea form when I was very young and we received a large ceramic statue
> packed that way.
> Leslie

Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand