From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:17:56 -0500
Medical Nikkor lenses work perfectly well on digital Nikon cameras. I use both the D70 and the D100. The Medi-Nikkor automatically calibrates the flash intensity dependent on aperture, so the camera just has to be set to 1/60 or 1/90 in manual mode and made to trigger the flash (via the X socket and a cable; Nikon did not put an X socket on the D70, but you can use a hot shoe adaptor instead).
In answer to the other question, all Nikon F-mount lenses will fit their digital SLRs. Obviously the older ones won't have autofocus, and pre-AI series ones won't couple to the camera's meter system either, but they work just fine in manual mode and many are of very high optical quality. I use a 2004 Nikon D70 with a 1962 55mm F1.2 Nikkor all the time. You do have to know a bit about apertures and shutter speeds, but the beauty of digital is that you see the result straight away and thus can adjust the aperture and shutter until things are perfect.

PC.

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170
Secretary, American Malacological Society
On the web at www.malacological.org
>>> Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]> 11/29/08 1:20 AM >>>
... and I should say that the current Nikkor macro lenses have so
little depth of focus (on any F-stop) that they are effectively
useless. Expensive junk. The standard lens is better.

--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand