From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:28:41 -0400
An observation here in Maryland.  I live on the fringes of the Middle
Patuxent Environmental Area, about 1000 acres of native Maryland
forest along the Middle Patuxent River.  Mesodon thyroides is the
prevalent large snail inhabiting the forest.  Over the past 10 years
there has been an increasing migration of Mesodon from the forest to
the cultivated lawns in the late Spring.  Quite a few snails can be
found crawling across the blades of fescue grass at any one time.  At
first I attributed the exodus to the leeching of pollutants or
chemicals into the forest.  It now seems more plausible that the
snails are being attracted to the garden lime that is spread across
lawns in May.  The timing is just right.  Unfortunately the Mesodon
then succumb to the surge of lawn mowers.