From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 06:29:34 -0400
Dear Charlie,

I entered Southpoint, Natal into Google Earth.  It did not take me all the
way to South Africa, nor did it zoom in on a place as it usually does,so I
manually navigated to the South Africa section of the globe and found one
marker placed by the program in Natal labeled "Southpoint Industries (Pty)
Ltd."  When I zoomed in I saw that the group of buildings was about 3 km
from the ocean (inland) and about 10 km north of Durban.  The latitude and
longitude are given as:

29°46'14.24" S, 31°01'36.19"E

It may be that this is a local landmark for fishermen.  The group of
buildings looks like it is on elevated ground ("Red Hill" is part of the
postal address for the company) and may be silhouetted when viewed from a
ship.  It may used to refer to the coast at this point.  There appears to be
a single runway for a small airport labeled "Virginia (VIR)" directly on the
coast at this point as well, but it is probably far less likely to be easily
seen from sea than the Southpoint complex.

Hope this helps.

Bill Fenzan

Norfolk, VA