From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:33:03 -0400
Hi Sheila and/or Guido,

Although as an ideal it may be commendable for shell dealers to bring the
"latest evolution of science" into the collections of today as you suggest,
I suspect this is impractical for most dealers.

Why?  The "primary tendency" of science is not always clear.  In the case of
genera, different authorities (authors, professional malacologists, etc.)
sometimes have competing positions on how to use generic names.  Sorting
through the literature to determine where the preponderance of evidence
points is not always easy or practical for dealers (or their customers -
collectors).  This has been made even harder by the increasing citation of
DNA evidence, anatomy and other criteria as justification for revision of
generic names established for a long time.  Which proposals for genera will
turn out to be supported by future research, and which will be abandoned?
Even the scientists do not know.  Most dealers really do not have the
training (nor should they) to effectively evaluate competing proposals by
the scientific community.

Popular authors usually do their best to pick one generic framework to
support and use it in their works.  They rarely present detailed, objective
justification for using it, though.  In most cases the work of others is
simply cited under the assumption that the reader has access to this
material and can interpret it.  In some cases, like with the Cypraeidae,
there have been multiple contradictory opinions about both the use of
generic and species names in the popular literature.  Many of these opinions
are not supported, or not supported well enough to be accepted universally.

The folks at Femorale cite the reference they used to identify the shell on
each of their labels.  This is much better than the norm for dealers who
usually just name the shell and provide basic collection data received from
their supplier.  Based on my own observations, they do not flinch from hard
work when it comes to ensuring accuracy of their data slips.  If it were
otherwise, I would say so.

Most dealers use the popular literature to identify shells because this is
what most of their customers have access to and use.  It would probably be
better to call on authors of popular works to more thoroughly explain the
scientific literature so there is a better foundation for the guides to
genera used by most suppliers, dealers, collectors, etc.  If the authors did
more to explain the reasoning behind their usage of names, and the
scientific community supported this effort, it might reduce the number of
contradictions in popular works.

Regards,

Bill