From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:06:50 +1200
> difficult at best to determine what might be considered a separate species
> as to shell morphology only. That being said, until they appear in
> significant numbers like L. adami, I accept that that the lirate ones could
> be hybrids.

Hybrids can be viable, and is is quite possible that there could be
true-breeding L. arachnoides as well as genuine hybrids out there. Of
course hybridization is one evolutionary pathway usually ignored by
taxonomists. If a hybridization is frequent enough in an area, then
the hybrids, if viable, may begin to mate with each other (as well as
possibly either or both parent species) and become established as a
true new species. Genuine hybrids will continue to be produced, and it
may be impossible to tell which are hybrids and which are the new
species, as they will be genetically and morphologically
indistinguishable.

As to L. adamii, these appear to be stunted, with very variable
spines. I consider these to be stunted L. lambis, but thuis can only
be decided by genetic analysis and study of large numbers of specimens
of L. adamii and L. lambis across the boundary of the area in which L.
adamii occurs, to see if there are intergrades. Of course intergrades
CAN be hybrids...

--
Regards
Andrew Grebneff