From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:23:29 +1300
> How can I treat bivalve ligaments so I can to keep valves attached and the
> ligament from becoming brittle?
> Marlo

Coating with paraffin oil can help, but it won't keep the ligament or
resilium (when present) soft and supple. Gylcerine in ethanol will
keep 'em soft, but beware, glycerine is hygroscopic, that is, it can
absorb water from the air (specimens of gastropods I kept in a cabinet
which was made of particleboard, and which i'd glycerined the
periostraca, did this, and formic acid released by the cabinet damaged
the shells as well as causing the periostraca to become completely
detached from the shell surfaces).

--
Regards
Andrew Grebneff