From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:49:42 -0400
HI David

I have never been to the Vineyard, and finally only saw that book for
the first time about two years ago....it reminds me of the similarly
detailed book by Emerson and Jacobson, now titled "Shells From Cape
Cod to Cape May"...and we have also tried to refind shells they noted
in the same places, usually with less success but as you noted we also
can find lots of things that werent found or mentioned by them.

I have shelled enough in Mass. to note Tagelus divisus can be found
regularly on S Mass. in several locations, Mattapoisett and Hyannis
for example, but is local and uncommon north of Cape Hatteras. Rarely
found in NY (I think we are up to six now in 35 yrs) and I know of one
from North of Cape May. We have never encountered Anomia aculeata in
shallow water, it may be possible, but  the best place to find it
would be on any lobster trap sitting around on the Vineyard anywhere,
if that "counts" for your kind of search- they are on lobster traps in
Gloucester, for example, by the 1000's.

Your hunt sounds grand!

Steve