From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:05:44 -0400
Dear All,
I can't remember if I mentioned this during the last discussion of naming
and strange molluscan names.  My favorite is a land snail named by the late
Alan Solem in 1978 or 1982 in one of his treatises of the endodontoid land
snails of Oceania.  He named a new genus, new species as follows.  He named
the new genus Ba after the region of Fiji in which it was collected.  And
he states in the etymology . . . I paraphrase . . . I was overcome by the
irresistable impulse to name the species humbugi.  So there is a Fijian
land snail named Ba humbugi.  It follows the rules and is valid.  And, by
the way, it was described from a single specimen (the holotype) and to my
knowledge, has not been collected since.

Kurt