From:
Thomas Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:45:39 -0600
I have watched this thread with interest as it heated up and cooled down.  I
would like to throw in a couple cents worth...

As for COA making money and "spreading the word" at conventions and via a
quarterly magazine, no one really brought up the answer to why we should
even worry about making money.  Conventions are fun and educational, they
bring together dealer and collector, they allow folks with shared interests
to bump elbows, and yes, they have all of the associated problems of finding
a suitable venue and balancing expense and schedule against convention
locality and probable attendance (not to mention the real killer -- who will
do it?  Who will dedicate long hours of coordination, panning, and sweat
only to listen with a smile to complaints about lighting, schedule, food,
event coordination, computer support, etc., etc., etc...?).  Conventions are
a royal pain in the neck, but they also enable COA to finance a grant
program (made up of COA convention profits (auction) as well as several
extremely generous private and shell club grants).  The COA grant program
distributes approximately $15,000 a year for research into malacology.  COA
grant amounts have grown steadily during the last couple of decades and have
been second to none for quite some time.  This is something each and every
member can point to with pride.  On the inside front cover of every issue of
American Conchologist is the following statement:

"In 1972, a group of shell collectors saw the need for a national
organization devoted to the interests of shell collectors; to the beauty of
shells, to their scientific aspects, and to the collecting and preservation
of mollusks.  This was the start of COA.  Our membership includes novices,
advanced collectors, scientists, and shell dealers from around the world.
In 1995, COA adopted a conservation resolution:  Whereas there are an
estimated 100,000 species of living mollusks, many of great economic,
ecological, and cultural importance to humans and whereas habitat
destruction and commercial fisheries have had serious effects on mollusk
populations worldwide, and whereas modern conchology continues the tradition
of amateur naturalists exploring and documenting the natural world, be it
resolved that the Conchologists of America endorses responsible scientific
collecting as a means of monitoring the status of mollusk species and
populations and promoting informed decision making in regulatory processes
intended to safeguard mollusks and their habitats."

Our grant program, the magazine American Conchologist, and the annual
conventions are how we accomplish the above.   Anyone with an idea on how to
improve how COA operates, but more importantly, the will, energy, and desire
to help COA operate, is a valued and welcome commodity.  Please come forward
and talk to ANY board member.  I am not talking about a "COA should do
this," statement.  We get plenty of those.  I'm talking about coming forth
with an offer to do the leg work.

Finally, charging a fee to attend the bourse for non-registered folks is
certainly a way to help defray convention costs.  A simple fee of $5 per
adult and $10 per family would be in line with every other similar event I
know of...  On the other hand, I cannot imagine this is a new idea and more
experienced COA members may have something to say that puts another light on
this matter.

So, make sure you remember to bring your AARP card and I'll see you in
Boston, or where ever we gather.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA