From:
Simon Aiken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 09:01:10 -0000
Ellen, tell your friend not to worry. We've been shipping shells from the UK
to America and to 50 other countries for 12 years, and we've never had any
issues. Use the regular postal service, mark the customs label "Seashells
for scientific study - no commercial value", and write on the parcel "Small
packet". There's nothing illegal or suspicious about it, whether the shells
are rare or not, or live-collected or beached. We've sent almost 2000
parcels of shells to America that way, without any problems apart from a
handful of parcels that have got lost in the postal system somewhere.
Obviously you won't send CITES species, living snails, or snail eggs.

Simon Aiken
Simon's Specimen Shells Ltd
12a Daniel Owen Precinct
Mold CH7 1AP