From:
Michael LaFosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 07:44:37 -0700
Aloha Dennis,

Thank you for the quick reply, and thank you for the added information about the "Oliva" gibbosa illustration: I did not know about that one.

Many of us love Abbott's little Golden Guide, "Seashells of the World", for the enchanting, if that is the best word to use here, illustrations, which were painted by George Sandstrom. I have long wondered what ever happened to the originals, and I also wonder what Mr. Sandstrom would have been paid for a project like that and how long it took him to prepare these 700+ painted portraits of the shells for this mass-market book.

I am curious because I am an author, of origami books, and I illustrate all of my books myself, with line art, which I prepare on a computer. I used to use ink pens and mechanical drafting tools, which were much more time consuming and so a book took many months more to complete. The pay, however, was not based upon time spent. You would receive a flat fee, calculated to fit the publisher's budget.

You are right: 50 years has produced a lot of change!

All the best.

Michael LaFosse