From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:13:11 -0400
HI David,

While a picture is always worth 1000 words your shell is  certainly
one of the better extreme colorful variations of irradians irradinas.
Using your descriptive method, I checked my collection and noted
specimens with anywhere from 1 to 12 white ribs , in the latter  the
white ribs are continguous, as you note, forming white patches so that
the shell looks more light than dark. If you can find enough specimens
there will often be a few of the white rayed variety. Last year in
December three of us went to our favorite scallop beach, where
thousands of individuals were washed ashore. I would estimate that
maybe one out of every 100 had white rays? its hard to put a number on
it since we have "trained" ourselves to focus on  the most unusual
color or pattern variations.

Along with the pattern you describe, we try for shells that are solid
white on both valves, or even better, solid yellow (the "lemon scallop
of the north").

Steve