From:
Keith Zeilinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:10:25 -1000
On 2/20/2012 7:24 AM, Scot Lewis wrote:
> I am also going to Maui in April for a week, and so I am looking forward to replies on this. Also, are
> there any restrictions on bring specimens back to the states? How do you do it? Pack in your
> luggage, or ship them back? And what would be the best way to clean them there for shipment?
>
> Scot Lewis, specializing in Olividae
>
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:19:30 -0500, Michael Small<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> Greeting Conch-Lers
>>
>> Doing a search on Conch-L the archives, I see that about once a year
>> someone asks for advice on how and where to dive for shells in Hawaii -
>> usually (like me) before taking a family vacation there.
>>
>> Since places and people change over time, I thought I would try a new post
>> on this old topic. I will be in Oahu over the long weekend of Friday March
>> 9th through Sunday March 11th, so I could fit in one day of diving there
>> and possibly two. The From March 11 - 18th I will be in West Maui and in
>> between family vacation things, will have time for a couple of dives.
>>
>> Does any reader have any suggestion on who I might contact who lives in
>> Hawaii and is active in diving for shells?
>>
>> Also, based on others' past experience, is it possible to find a comercial
>> dive operator who would be willing to let a recreational diver look for
>> shells?
>>
>> I am especially interested in finding any of the endemic Hawaiian
>> gastropods, starting with any of the Cypraea, but also any other species
>> that are endemic to Hawaii, or have a range that is limited to the
>> central Pacific.
>>
>> I am also game to try snorkelling or inter-tidal collecting, if there are
>> still accessible and productive spots  - but I suspect most of the unusual
>> Hawaiian shells have to be found by diving (please correct this
>> impression).
>>
>> I would be grateful for any and all suggestions. Feel free to post a reply
>> or email me directly at: [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Michael Small
>> Canberra Australia

>> [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>> To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>> Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>> click leave the list.
> click leave the list.

I live on Oahu and dive for shells on Oahu.  We have our own boat so I
can't speak about the charters.  I would think that picking up dead
shells on a charter would be okay but a large live Triton or helmet
shell might be a problem.  The rarest endemics here are very difficult
to find.  I know that one of the charters in Maunalua Bay visits a
fighter plane on a sand flat at about 110 feet.  If you were the first
diver down for the morning there might be tracks in the sand or crabbed
shells in the plane.  I know that the charter boat off Makaha does the
second dive in an area of caves and canyons where some cowries and cones
can be found. ( best to have a flashlight.)  I can't speak for charters
on Maui, although a friend took the charter from Lahaina that crosses to
Lanai and found a large Cypraea tessellata there.  If I were on a
charter and found a cowrie I wanted, I would put it in my glove or a
pocket and not mention it back on the boat.( Do not put a cone shell in
your glove).  On our island the common Oliva sandwicensis is best found
in sand pockets on a hard bottom at 50 feet or so.  Keith Zeilinger