From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 11:19:43 -0400
Although electronic publication does provide new opportunities for bad
work to pass the rules, the new ammendment does address many of the
concerns raised and has some fairly specific guidelines on what does
or does not qualify.

Perhaps the biggest problem is making sure that journal publishers are
alert to the regulations-ones with a major taxonomic focus no doubt
are paying attention, but others with occasional taxonomic content are
likely to be more problematic.  For example, many journals are making
a proof version of articles available before the official publication
date.  A paper on which I'm a co-author (fortunately without any
taxonomic actions that require a precise date) was printed earlier
this year by an online journal.  It proclaimed an official publication
date, but took over a month after that to actually have the final
draft rather than the proof.  The regulations say that a prerprint
proof doesn't count, but the actual publication date is obscured by
the journal's somewhat sloppy practice.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Visiting Professor