From:
Carlo Maccà <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:52:10 +0200
Dear Steve,
the difference between Cryptospira ventricosa  and Cryptospira glauca was
clearly stated by Coomans, 1969 (Basteria 33(5-6) 85-92 "On the identity of
Cryptospira glauca and the related Cryptospira ventricosa ").
Rather oddly, this article was quite overlooked for decades, and the two
species were sistematically confused by dealers, collectors and most
authors. The recent (2010) revision of the genus Cryptospira by Andrew
Wakefields (Novapex, Hors Série N° 7) should have stopped any misconception,
and it appears that this is - very slowly, however - occuring. The last
author also states that Cry. loebbeckiana Weinkauff, 1878 is a synonym of
Cry. praecallosa Higgins, 1876.
Indeed, if  you have at hand a real ventricosa  and a real glauca it is
impossible to mix them. Moreover, their ranges (Indonesia and India,
respectively) do not overlap.
I can send you a PDF of the Coomans' paper (from a very old, poor but still
readable photocopy). If really interested in the Cryptospira genus, ordering
the not expensive monographic Novapex Hors Série N° 7 (our friend Roland
Houart is the journal's manager) is a must.
Carlo