From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:34:49 -0400
On 9/10/2013 11:58 AM, Matt Blaine wrote:

> I use the Japanese system when recording collection notes and field
> numbers and labeling samples. I did not know that it was the Japanese
> system however!  By using it as a data number I not only have a
> numbering system that I can use easily in my File Maker Pro system but I
> also have the collection date (backup redundancy).
>
> like this #20130910. If I have several collection locations in one day
> then I add a letter. #20130910a and so on.

* I use a similar system for field numbers, incorporating time and date,
for those recorded directly into the computer - FWS13Sep101311/a for a
collection made just now - with /b et seq. for the second and more
species in the collection. I figure anyone can use the abbreviation of
the month as a key to figure out the time and date from the field
number. For records originating in written field notes it's
FWS2013/178/aa where 178 is the page number and a is the station
designation.

fred.

> For my insect data I use the European 10-IX-2013. This anomaly is
> because I started my insect collection decades before File Maker Pro and
> it is easily understandable.
>
> Matt

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad