From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2013 21:43:10 -0500
It is very good to know that most of our conchological community in
the Philippines has come through relatively unscathed.

The Filippino people who need to be focused on at the moment are
those who live from southern Samar, Leyte west through northern Cebu
and Panay Island, where so many thousands have seemingly perished in
the storm.  I received notification from a friend in the media who is
en-route to the hardest hit areas that those areas have suffered
devastation the likes not seen since the 2004 and Japan
earthquake/tsunami's (his words).

I fully agree with Vicky that the best we can do to help is support
the first responders through their parent organizations.  I lived
through a Category 5 hurricane in the early 1990's and know first
hand the destruction wrought by such a storm.  It is the first
responders who will need significant financial backing to help them
bring some stability back to the hardest hit areas.

Rich