From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:02:10 -0400
Jose and Lucy,

My loss at the Portland convention a few years
ago went on deaf ears by the hotel and police.  I
also filed a report with the police and had a
legal letter sent to the hotel.  The hotel
totally exonerated itself from any liability and
the police closed the case not long after I
departed Portland.  The boxes were under lock and
key by the hotel at the time and most likely it
was an inside job, though that was never
determined since nothing was done to investigate.

Leaving shells in a car without an alarm or
security system is a big no-no.  Keeping shells
in a valet-parked car is as good as posting a
sign, "free shells for the taking."  A few of the
hotel's staff in Wilmington were quite curious
about the monetary value of all the shells
floating around the hotel.  And I overheard in at
least one case where someone told a staff person
that some shells can be worth thousands of
dollars.  So at least some were aware of what shells might be worth.

There were lock boxes in the rooms and probably
should have been used for the most expensive
shells, or whatever would fit inside.  But then again hindsight is 20/20...