From:
Harry Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2014 08:21:46 -0400
Dear Charlie,

It seems to me that in this digital world, such
ambiguity can wreak considerable havoc.

The Florida Museum of Natural History was known
as FLMNH for years, but not long ago they
officially changed the acronym to UF for
catalogued museum lots so as to avoid confusion
with Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History
(FMNH). Thus FLMNH 123123 became UF 123123
overnight and confusion with FMNH 123123 was made far less likely.

On the other hand, if someone is looking for USNM
123123 and can't find it because it's now NMNH
123123, we have a potential problem. I suppose,
however, that systems can have functional
redundancy and allow either acronym to access the unique lot.

Harry