From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:54:19 +0000
OK- we've all had our little laughs- i'm surprised Art didn't drag his
Flying Pigs into the melee!  The suggestion was made that most of the
lefties were the same species, with a good deal of variation, but some
European cone spp were also sinistral, so that is not a total
explanation.  A more pertinant question might be why the vast majority
of present-day spp  in nearly all families are dextral- is there some
advantage to this state?   If so, why are so many land-snails sinistral,
and why has the Triphoriidae family been so successful, if
left-handedness confers some sort of disadvantage?  Further, is there
more diversity in "handedness" in other families in the fossil record,
and not just Conidae?   Does natural selection seem to be playing the
predominant role here, or are we simply living in a period where
dextrality just happens to predominate? (or is there any way of
gathering evidence to support either circumstance, or is it likely to to
remain one of the many things we are unlikely to ever know??)

Any Bona-fide info or speculations??,

Ross
P.S.  Would people stop picking on Helmut (at least in pubic, ie!).
After all, he is by his own admission, his own species...