From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:18:03 -0600
Lynn and all,

I really like the last sentence about "infinite and unexpected
variations."  This is one of the things that makes trading shells so
difficult at times.  You have three of a given species but each is
different and you really must keep all three to be able to demonstrate
that difference.

As for shiny, colorful, and graceful -- I agree, all add to the beauty
and interest of a shell.  However, I recently pulled out a Rapana
rapifomis to trade and then the person changed their mind and didn't
want it after all.  Well, thank goodness.  I had two of them and was
going to keep the larger one with a few flaws and trade the smaller but
near perfect shell away.  This shell sat on my desk by the computer for
a week and I constantly played with it (and the busted up Conus
delessertii).  It has become a favorite; I don't know if it is a tornado
favorite, but I like it.  I have really come to appreciate the contrast
between the shiny peach interior with its well ordered ribs and the
caramelized exterior with its great sculpturing.

My point, and the lesson here for me, concerns "missing the trees for
the forest," to misquote a phrase.  My nice brown R. rapiformis was a
square filler acquired in the quest to collect a representative sample
of each "collectible" family of shells.  As such it became a database
entry and was lost in the numbers of shells in boxes, cabinets, and
drawers.  I decided I could trade it after looking at my database, NOT
at the actual shell.  Having it sit here for a week got me back into the
wonderment of the individual shell.  I dare say I could put just about
any shell up in front here and find just as much enjoyment -- as long as
I take the time to really look at it.  I was going to close with
something about putting a different shell on the desk each week to
really study and enjoy, but that sounds a bit trite.  Besides, I'm not
done with the R. rapiformis yet.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA