From:
Michael Hoelling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:26:23 -0500
Nachricht geschrieben von Conchologists of America List
>Thank you for setting me straight. Now that we know how the Zebra
Mussel got here, do we know of any critter that might enjoy dining on
them? Oh, one more thing: if they came from the Black Sea, presumably
they've been there a long time. How are their numbers limited there?
              Art
<

In the Lake of Constance (Bodensee) between Germany, Switzerland and
Austria (yes, we have had an invasion by Dreissena polymorpha even before
you) it took some twenty-five years, but then ducks adapted to the new
abundant food the Zebras were, and since then they virtually disappeared
down to about  30 meters, as I can confirm from my own diving experience
there.

>I can guarantee
that if a fish is imported to eat zebra mussels, it will also eat native
species of mollusks.
Gary Rosenberg, Ph.D. >

Note that there was no other indigenous species in this ecological niche
before in Central Europe!

Greetings from Germany
Mike