DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Gijsman, Arjan J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:44:17 -0800
Hi Bipin,

In my email to the DSSAT Listserver of last week (Jan 30), I wrote some
about the leaching and soil-N-dynamics option of DSSAT.

You wondered which variables indicate the leaching. Almost all variables in
the *.OUT files are explained in the DETAIL.CDE and DATA.CDE files in the
DSSAT root directory. Leaching can be found as NLCC in the NITROGEN.OUT
file, as NLCM in the SUMMARY.OUT file, or as 'Leached NO3' in the NBAL.OUT
file. Please keep in mind what I wrote in my last-week's email, as it
sometimes gives surprising results.

In you earlier email you wrote that "measured value=3.63 kg/ha for nitrate
and 18.2 kg/ha for Total nitrogen". Does this mean that the difference
between total-N leached and nitrate leached is ammonium? Seems rather
unlikely, as ammonium is sorbed onto the soil particles much stronger than
nitrate. DSSAT simulates only nitrate leaching, and has an option of reduced
nitrate leaching due to adsorption (which happens e.g. with some
highly-weathered soils); for this option, see Bowen,W.T., Jones,J.W.,
Carsky,R.J. & Quintana,J.O. (1993) Evaluation of the nitrogen submodel of
CERES-maize following legume green manure incorporation. Agron. Journal
85:153-159. I do not know whether this also is activated in the Rice model.

Hope this helps.

Arjan Gijsman