DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Amor V.M. Ines" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 23:19:56 +0700
Hi,

maybe inverse modeling (IM) will be helpful in this case.  i agree that
there are adverse limitations of PTF in estimating the soil hydraulic
properties (Espino, A., Mallants, D., Vanclooster and J. Feyen.  1995.
Cautionary notes on the use of pedotransfer functions for estimating soil
hydraulic properties.  Agricultural Water Management. 29: 235-253).
althhough (according to my knowledge) DSSAT does not use the pF curve in the
soil water dynamics but the DUL and LL and other sensitive properties could
be defined by IM.  In IM you can use the soil water measurements to
inversely estimate the DUL and LL, and therefore averting the uncertanties
laden in PTF use.  but of course there are also uncertainty issues in IM.

Maybe these documents can be of help:

Ines, A.V.M. and P. Droogers.  2002.  Inverse modeling in estimating soil
hydraulic functions: A Genetic Algorithm approach.  Hydrology and Earth
System Sciences.  6: 49-65.

Jhorar, R.K., Bastiaanssen, W.G.M., Feddes, R.A. and J.C. Van Dam.  2002.
Inversely estimating soil hydraulic functions using evapotranspiration
fluxes.  Journal of Hydrology.  258: 198-213.

http://www.sce.ait.ac.th/research/dissertation/wem/2002/~ines/

Thanks,

Amor V.M. Ines