From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:36:14 -0500
I agree....It sounds like, in part, two species are being confused
here by the lab folks.

The 1st paragraph quoted above by John would fit Arctica islandica
pretty well, and the english vernacular name of that shell is "the
ocean quahog". The range fits (mostly; shells from California or
Oregon likely have anthropogenic origins).....and of course followers
of Conch-L have seen many posts about the studies documenting how
long-lived Arctica islandica is....essentially being the longest lived
animals known.

The shell in the photos looks to be the Southern Quahog,  Mercenaria
campechiensis, it does appear that its growth has been stunted.  That
species, including the large individual found and photographed, is
known for its tightly crowded concentric ridges which totally encircle
the shell (whereas they tend to fade out toward the middle in the
closely-related 'Northern Quahog", Mercenaria mercenaria).

Reading between the lines, these folks likely have taken the
research findings for the 'growth rings' in Arctica islandica, and
mistakenly applied them to Mercenaria,
which is not a valid analysis; even if they did realize they were
comparing molluscan apples and oranges it still isn't valid.

Perhaps there are some
studies out there that correlate the ridges to the age of Mercenaria
species?