From:
Michael Hoelling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 06:49:03 -0500
Nachricht geschrieben von Conchologists of America List
>Also,
for the minimum size enthusiasts, I have a Cypraea flaveola that appears to
be mature and is 6mm.

Thank you,

Skip Krasny<

Now, what happened with the name "Cypraea flaveola"? I suppose that your
shell is from western Australia, then I would label it Erosaria
labrolineata (Gaskoin 1849). I saw that Guido Poppe uses the name flaveola
on his website, though Lorenz & Hubert agree with Burgess that the meaning
of Cypraea flaveola Linne is not clear. L. and H. have Cypreae flaveola
Linne 1758 in the synonymy of  labrolineata (so is it a nomen dubium
then?), whereas Burgess has Cypraea flaveola Linne 1767 as synonym of our
Atlantic and Mediterranean Erosaria spurca (Linne 1758) and Cypreae
flaveola Gray 1825 as synonym of labrolineata, but without further pointing
out why in his books. I understand that Burgess discussed the matter in HSN
207, but unfortunately I donīt have that paper (could Bob Dayle please,
please put it online soon?). Burgess doesnīt seem to mention C. flaveola
Linne 1758, and sees flaveola L. 1767 as younger synonym of spurca L. 1758,
and consequently flaveola Gray 1825 (who would then be the first to use the
name for the Indo-Pacific species) as younger homonym, so that the next
available name (i. e. Cypraea flaveola var. labro-linaeta Gaskoin 1849)
would then become valid.
After writing this, I just found (thanks Bob!) an article in "The Cowry"
2(1) from 1968 by Schilder, who has C. flaveola L. 1767 as wrongly used
name for the west Atlantic Erosaria acicularis (Gmelin 1791) (Burgess
doesnīt separate it from spurca)  and flaveola Gray as stated above, but
still the question remains who or what (if ever) is Cypraea flaveola Linne
1758??
And just before posting, I remembered that I also downloaded the Cypraeidae
names list from Guido Poppeīs site, and (in 1992) they shared the views
detailed above, with C. flaveola Linne 1758 as nomen dubium.
Anyhow, I think that Cypraea flaveola is a dealerīs name and prefer to use
labrolineata for the Indo-Pacific species. But maybe I missed an important
paper in recent times that shifted the whole thing once again.

Greetings from Germany
Michael