From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:44:03 -0600
I couldn't agree more with all of Bob's statements.  Read Rachel Carson's book
if you haven't. She has some books about the sea and sea creatures also but I
have not read them yet.
I was appalled when I understood only recently that we spray Malathion to keep
mosquitos at bay!  I consider this a very toxic chemical and when I use it on my
houseplants (as a last resort may I add!) I wear surgical gloves and a mask.  I
spray in my shed where fumes cannot disperse to my garden.  Here in Calgary
there isn't even the excuse that a disease could spread but the spraying goes on
anyway!  We just don't want bugs in the air biting us!  Imagine how that could
alter one's golf handicap, tsk tsk! Even though spread of disease is a real
concern, is destroying the ecosystem or altering it in ways we don't understand
a sensible response?
Adding biological controls is just one more human conceit.  It is bad for the
same bottom line reason as chemical spraying - we don't know what we are doing.
I am not usually one to hop on an alarmist bandwagon whenever the media go
scaremongering but the idea that genetic engineering is a panacea and will solve
all our problems is even more potentially dangerous and insidious than all we
have done up till now  with our poisons and biological controls.  We have this
idea that we understand the effects of genetic manipulation - oh yeah right.  We
can't even predict the effect when we add a whole organism to a new ecosystem,
so  what makes us think that if we tinker with an organisms genetic coding that
we will suddenly do a better job here.
What if we added that engineered virus to the mosquito and then started killing
off all the mosquitos and couldn't stop it. Then the birds which rely almost
exclusively on mosquitos for food when breeding and raising young would perish
or put pressure on other insects whose roles we don't fully undertand and the
animals who ate those birds would perish or start eating some other things and
so on and so on.  If we ever got rid of mosquitos we would really want to take
that little 'faux pas' back I bet.
I liken genetic engineering to discovering fire but not really understanding it,
how to put it out or what it can potentially do.  "Oh look, this hot red stuff
can cook your food, keep you warm and sterilize your tools!  It can also get rid
of those pesky bushes where the saber-tooth tiger always hides.  Great eh! I'll
show you how to make some". Then the forest fire starts and no one knows what to
do...
Nora
Still in Calgary, Alberta
CANADA