From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:37:09 +0000
Dear Harry and all,

I have confirmation that "extinction" was the word used in the Royal
Society's report about endocrine disrupting chemicals. These substances are
"cause for grave concern," in the words of the report because exposure has
had devastating effects on wildlife and the endocrine system of humans is
similar.

I had never thought of dog whelks as the canaries of the marine mineshaft.
Perhaps mollusks are useful in yet one more way we don't usually consider.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC