From:
Frank Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:33:14 EDT
Ross,

First, I think it really is too commercial for the list if we talk about
ourselves, it's a plug and not all dealers are members of CONCH-L, so many
very good and large dealers would not be represented.

In my experience today's buyers know what they want, and if you have it at a
reasonable price, they will buy the shell from you. Shells are not products
like TV's, radios, stoves, dishwashers, etc., that people have to have and
many stores compete with basically the same product. Buying a shell is more
emotional and all aspects of the sale are important, but the most important
to the customer, I think, is having the new shell(s) to play with.

You can say basic data is important, but most collectors are aware that in
many third world countries dealers are at the mercy of the wholesaler who
often supplies very general data at best.

One thing I think is very important is "Honesty." We all make mistakes, just
be honest with your customers about everything, or whatever happened.

Help them get what they want, even if it means referring them to another
dealer. I have referred customers countless times to other dealers I know can
help them.

Nothing makes me feel better than when a customer tells me "Thank you, they
were beautiful shells."

These are all general I don't think it right to say what it is about my
business that customers like the most because then I would be promoting
myself.

I will answer any question off the list that you may have. [log in to unmask]

Frank (getting chilly) in Massachusetts

Frank Walker

Gems From The Sea
Visit Our WEB SITE: www.shellgems.com
New posting every week under BULLETIN Board
BUY - SELL - TRADE - CONSIGNMENT
"Quality Specimen Shells For Every Collector"
New Shells Arrive Every Week!
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752  USA
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
<A HREF="http://www.shellgems.com/"> Welcome to Shell Gems: buy and sell
shells from around the world</A>