Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:03:08 -0400
Identifying which cones are hazardous has a couple of major problems, in addition to the fact that direct experiments are unethical.  First, there is the possibility of an allergy, analogous to bee stings.  Thus, a life-threatening species, from the point of view of one person, may be only unpleasant for someone else.  I do not know if this has been acutally demonstrated in cones.  However, there is known variability in effect between individuals as a result of the high specificity of their toxins.  Experiments on animals have revealed that the toxin often affects a single type of neuron.  The development of the nervous system is relatively flexible (at least in vertebrates), so the type of nerve performing a particular task may vary from individual to individual.  If the cone toxin targets a nerve type that is important to you, you are in trouble, whereas someone else with slightly different wiring might be OK.

    Dr. David Campbell
    "Old Seashells"
    Biology Department
    Saint Mary's College of Maryland
    18952 E. Fisher Road
    St. Mary's City, MD  20686-3001 USA
    [log in to unmask], 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
"Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'.  And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!