From:
Chris Takahashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:33:54 -0400
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:06:14 -0600, Thomas E. Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Ross,
>
>If you remember, there was a thread on this about a year ago concerning
>importation through Alaska (I believe).  The bottom line was it cost
>something like $30 or $50 for each package -- a Fish and Wildlife
processing
>fee.
>
>Tom
>

>> Just wondering if anyone had ever submitted a " Declaration for the
>Importation
>> or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife (Form 3-177)" after import of
specimens
>> the United States??  If so, did it encounter any static?  Is is a
>generally
>> useful device for collectors to avoid hassles by Fish & Wildlife officers
>> looking for something to do in their spare time?
>>
>> -Ross.

Aloha All!
Let me clarify this situation since the info came from the Pacific regional
offices' head honcho.

1)Any recipient residing in the US (shell collector or dealer) must be
licensed by the US Fish & Wildlife Department to receive seashells from a
non-US country. Yearly cost is $50US.

2)After being licensed any parcels will be charged $55US inspection fee by
Wildlife officials. The contents are confirmed non-CITIES endangered
species. Doesn't matter if the shells are for a collection or re-sale or
that the value is $1 or $1,000US.

3)Inspections are random. But I know of many seized parcels that were
charged a inspection fee then returned to the sender. Also the US requires
some countries to file a CO (Country of Origin) and/or a Commodities Form.

4)These statements originated from the Regional Director. Anyone saying
otherwise due to they're own personal experiences or in-experiences wasn't
up on the changes to the new Importation/Exportation laws that took effect
Oct.1997. Before anyone w/a declared value of less than $3,500US on any
goods/seashells was allowed entry of shipment/parcel.

More inspectors are being educated on the new laws & more seized shipments
will result because of this. On the other hand some inspectors don't realize
the changes made & will allow parcels to pass.   CHRIS