From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:41:09 -0500
Peter brings up a very good point concerning
species characteristics.

Many species carry characteristics which
in no way enhance their survival but,
more importantly, do not hinder their
survival.

In Hawaii's cowries there are a couple (at
leaest) of fine examples: The Grooved-Toothed
Cowry (C. sulcidentata) has its deeply cut
interstices which serve no function and the
Checkered Cowry has those outrageous blotches
on it sides and a mantle that is all but
transparent! I can spot them from yards away
on a night dive.

So what keeps this characteristic from betraying
its presence to the many predators with the eye-
sight to spot it and the ability to feed on it?
The lack of light, that's what. These cowries only
venture out in the darkest of dark nights, so what
do those spots count for?

There have to be many other instances where species
have traits that have no real function. Our mistake
is that we think everything SHOULD have a purpose.

Aloha,

'makuabob'