Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:33:44 -0400
PaulCyp wrote:

> In a message dated 4/29/98 9:40:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<Could someone provide the common name of the Gaza superba'cubana' listed
> in the St. Louis Shell show results, and are their any photographs
> (jpg/gif) available & refs.??  Thanks, Michael Huggins
>
> >>The common name of Gaza superba is the Superb Gaza - not too imaginative!
> It is a deep water, somewhat depressed (flattened) Trochid (top shell), about
> 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter, with a pearly exterior, quite uncommon, and
> always a desired collectors' item.  As for the form/subspecies "cubana", I am
> not familiar with it, but it's common name (extracted from its scientific
> name) would be, I suppose, the Cuban Superb Gaza.
> On that topic, we should keep in mind that the great majority of mollusk
> species, just like the majority of plant species or insect species, have NO
> common names at all - another good reason to become familiar with the
> scientific names.
>
> Paul M.

Thank you very much for your reply. I do understand your point and
reasoning.  Maybe some of us amateures could come up with a system of
common names for those shells which do not have them.  I will check my
references a little more carefully. I just wanted to know more about the
shell as i had never heard of that particular one. Please forgive my
ignorance and naivite (sp) Good evening, Michael