From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:14:50 -0500
Dear Andy,

When I lived in California in the 70's, I never noted any interspecific
snail mating (Helix aspersa Muller, 1774 is almost certainly the immigrant
with the rap), but I did witness an awful lot of recreational drug use by
quadrupeds.  Perhaps the latter phenomenon facilitated the birth of the
interbreeding hypothesis to which you refer. :)

Harry

At 01:52 PM 2/16/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Paul Monfils wrote, "Imported snails interbreeding with local snails?  Very
>interesting! Presumably they were closely related forms?  Same genus?  At
>least same family?  Any additional information on this would be welcomed.
>Another consideration - are there some species that can reproduce
>hermaphroditically?"
>
>I don't know the specific names, but the classic example is that of an
>edible landsnail that was imported from France to California many years ago.
>When I lived in California in the 70's, I was told that they had interbred
>with the native snails, reducing their size. They were certainly present in
>overwhelming numbers, and did enormous damage to gardens. If anyone could
>affirm or deny this little story with details, I'd appreciate it.
>
>Getting back to James Cheshire's innocent question: Another good reason not
>to transport living snails away from their habitats is that some freshwater
>snails carry parasites (viruses, bacteria, worms, etc.), some of which cause
>serious diseases in people. Even if the parasites do not affect humans, they
>might well be able to infest native snails, birds, domestic or wild animals,
>etc.
>
>Well, folks, I have to step out of this discussion awhile and get back to
>other work... have fun! And listen to what Kurt has to say. He knows!
>
>Andrew K. Rindsberg
>Geological Survey of Alabama
Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm